Kansas weather is CRAZY. Just a few short weeks ago, I was beginning to wonder if winter would ever fully end. It would start to warm up and give us all a little hope….and then it would snow…or be cloudy for weeks. Then, the sun came out and we had spring for a few days. Now it’s 97 degrees. Sounds like cold salad season to me.
As I was trying to decide how to incorporate the vegetable stock in my fridge that needs to be used into my dinner tonight, all I was thinking of were hot foods – like soup. Don’t get me wrong. I love soup and there is an especially delicious looking tortilla soup I’ve been wanting to try….but it is most definitely NOT soup weather. Luckily, vegetable stock can be used for non-soup applications as well. Like this cold salad that is perfect for confused spring days that want to pretend like it’s July.
Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- 1/2 T. olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 2 T. roasted red pepper, diced
- 1/2 t. dried oregano
- 1/2 c. vegetable stock
- 1/3 c. couscous
- 2 T. sun-dried tomato, diced
- 1 small tomato, seeded + diced
- 1/2 c. diced cucumber, seeded + diced**
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt + pepper to taste
- Heat oil in medium saucepan, then add garlic and onion. Saute 3-5 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add roasted red pepper, oregano, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat, stir in couscous, and cover. Let sit covered 5 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in sun-dried tomato, tomato, cucumber, lemon juice, and salt + pepper.
- Place in bowl or plastic container, cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
**To seed the cucumber: slice it in half vertically, then use a spoon to scrape down the middle and remove the seeds.
This was really quick and easy to put together and made a great, filling dinner. I love it when you can get your grains, protein, and veggies all in one bowl! Although I just ate it as one big main dish, you could also serve it as a side dish for 2-4 people or double the recipe for a bigger crowd. It would also travel well for lunch on the go!